By PTI | 29 Dec, 2013, 01.24PM IST
PANAJI: Against the backdrop of a drugs seizure at the popular Sunburn festival in Goa, state Tourism Minister Dilip Parulekar admitted that revelers consume drugs during such events and said organisers cannot be blamed as “people come to enjoy”.
A youth from Chhattisgarh was arrested yesterday for possessing drugs inside the Sunburn festival venue.
“Music revellers feel that musical parties like Sunburn cannot be enjoyed without consuming alcohol and drugs,” Parulekar told reporters last evening on the sidelines of India travel mart-Goa in Panaji.
The tourism minister further said, “Drugs are freely available all over the world and Goa is not an exception.”
Despite the music festival being declared a ‘no drugs zone’, the banned substance was openly sold and consumed at the venue, he said.
“You cannot blame the organisers, people come there to enjoy,” Parulekar said.
The Sunburn festival is expecting more than one lakh footfalls during the three-day event.
State police have put up various guidelines including CCTV cameras and are conducting strict frisking of the revellers entering the venue.
A resident of Raipur in Chhattisgarh was yesterday arrested from the Sunburn venue by Anti-Narcotics Cell (ANC) during their raid at the festival, which is underway at Vagator since Thursday.
Related News / Articles:
- Sunburn 2013: Goa govt acting unfairly in considering Viacom 18′s proposal over Percept’s?
- Sunburn 2013 in Goa seems cancelled or rescheduled as Viacom 18′s VH1 Supersonic gets the nod: DNA
- Tourism Minister Dilip Parulekar’s top secret “meeting” with Harinder Singh of Percept, organisers of Sunburn and Pravin Dabholkar?
- I am like Shah Rukh Khan, says Goa’s Tourism Minister Dilip Parulekar, after posing with a known criminal
- Out of 52 arrested Nigerians, 38 get bail. 14 to remain in custody as they are without valid documents
- Shortage of toilets, sanitary facilities and electricity still plague rural Goa
- Goa Govt shells out Rs 10 crore for IFFI 2013, as total expenses cross Rs 20 cr
- Goa police to handle security at IFFI 2013; no private security guards, says Vishnu Wagh
- Logg warns of rampant drug abuse as Supersonic opens to ’7,000 footfalls’ at Candolim:
- Goa to shut at 1 am – Govt order will affect small businesses most, forcing many to shut shop
- On World Toilet Day, 35 per cent residents in Goa do not have proper sanitation facilities
- Goa to get specialized Cyber Crime Cell
- After Tehelka, alleged sexual harassment at Goa film festival IFFI 2013
- Goa CM Parrikar gets Tiwari jibe during IFFI 2013 closing ceremony
- Stop parading Bombay stars at Iffi: Padma Vibhushan awardee Adoor Gopalakrishnan
- Vishwaroopam actress Waheeda Rahman to be honored at IFFI 2013 in Goa
- Some greedy Goans are killing the goose that lays the golden eggs in Goa
- Rohit Shetty, Jaya, Waheeda to attend Iffi 2013 in Goa
- EDM fests in sight, Mining-ban hit Goa’s BJP-led govt imposes 25% entertainment tax to ramp up revenue
- Goa govt to fund aspiring Goan film directors with Rs 50 lakh says MLA Vishnu Surya Wagh
- Special section of six films by Goans at Iffi 2013
- Tarun Tejpal tries to learn Konkani in his cell, manages to strike a conversation with cell mates
- NCW flays Goa police for not arresting Tarun Tejpal
- US-Iran stars to power India’s international film fest, IFFI 2013 in Goa
- Churchill Alemao, John Fernandes petition Goa Governor B V Wanchoo to disqualify Benaulim MLA Caetano ‘Caitu’ Silva
- Goa govt spends Rs 1 crore on foreign junket for city elders while mice and cockroaches rule GMC at Bambolim
- Delhi HC issues notice to Goa govt, Centre on Caitu’s plea
- Relief for Caitu as Delhi HC admits plea on citizenship
- Goa Govt spends Rs One Crore on junket for 38 to study garbage disposal – who sanctioned this wasteful expenditure, asks LOGG Goa
- Over 37059 children who work and live on Mumbai’s streets says report
« Goan musician Remo Fernandes to tune up AAP in Goa US won’t drop visa fraud charge against Devyani Khobragade, denies goof up »