TNN | Dec 21, 2013, 01.14 AM IST
PANAJI: Mapusa police arrested Sirsaim resident Kamu alias Awdoot Halarnkar at Colvale on Friday night in connection with the attack on BJP St Andre MLA Vishnu Surya Wagh.
Earlier the police have registered an attempt to murder case against around 70 persons, some 60 of them unidentified for the attack on Wagh at Nanora on Thursday night.
Those who have been named in the FIR are: Yeshwant Chodankar, Prasad Sinari, Kamu alias Awdoot Halarnkar, Ritesh Varkhankar, Anand Volvoikar all residents of Sirsaim, Anand Temkar and Suraj Kambali residents of Pirna, and panchayat members Chari and Ladu Kubal.
Mapusa police has booked the case under Sections 143 (unlawful assembly), 147 (deadly weapon) 148, 342 (wrongful restrain) 504, 506 (threatening), 323 (assault), 307 (attempt to murder) read with 149 (common objective) of the IPC and Section 3 of the Prevention of Damage to Public Property Act.
After the attack on Thursday night, Wagh was admitted to Goa medical college and hospital (GMC), Bambolim on Friday for high blood pressure. GMC dean V N Jindal told TOI that Wagh was admitted at around 1.43am.
Wagh was attacked by a group of armed persons while he was returning from a kirtan mahotsov at Nanora in Tivim constituency on Thursday at around 9.40pm. His official car was badly damaged and he was assaulted by the mob who questioned why he had attended a programme organized by state NCP president Nilkant Halarnkar. Wagh said the attack was preplanned and alleged that the attackers were supporters of his colleague and local MLA (Tivim) Kiran Kandolkar of the BJP.
There is speculation that Wagh is negotiating with the NCP for a party ticket to contest the upcoming Lok Sabha elections from North Goa.
SOURCE: THE TIMES OF INDIA
Related News / Articles:
- I will not be cowed down: MLA Vishnu Surya Wagh says after attack
- Vishnu Wagh’s supporters want Kandolkar arrested
- Eating Out in Goa: Titos at Baga Beach
- EDM fests in sight, Mining-ban hit Goa’s BJP-led govt imposes 25% entertainment tax to ramp up revenue
- Logg warns of rampant drug abuse as Supersonic opens to ’7,000 footfalls’ at Candolim:
- Eating Out in Goa: Poco Loco at the Royal Goan Beach Club at Monterio, Arpora
- North Goa Tourist Taxi owners complain about foreigners running tourist taxis and tours
- Goa News: South Goan beaches to get a facelift and new tourist facilities
- Dispelling Goa’s negative media coverage? Does it work?
- Goa govt to fund aspiring Goan film directors with Rs 50 lakh says MLA Vishnu Surya Wagh
- How Porvorim MLA Rohan Khaunte hijacked law and order in Goa!
- Brand ‘Goa’ takes a beating as international media terms Goa and Goans ‘racist’
- Rohit Shetty, Jaya, Waheeda to attend Iffi 2013 in Goa
- Goa govt spends Rs 1 crore on foreign junket for city elders while mice and cockroaches rule GMC at Bambolim
- Out of 52 arrested Nigerians, 38 get bail. 14 to remain in custody as they are without valid documents
- Goa police to handle security at IFFI 2013; no private security guards, says Vishnu Wagh
- Tourism Minister Dilip Parulekar admits drug use rampant at music festivals in Goa
- NCW flays Goa police for not arresting Tarun Tejpal
- Tarun Tejpal tries to learn Konkani in his cell, manages to strike a conversation with cell mates
- Goa to get specialized Cyber Crime Cell
- Special section of six films by Goans at Iffi 2013
- Goa Police chief and ex-Home Minister Ravi Naik tried to hide information about the drug mafia, says panel report
- After Nigerians, Kashmiris targeted in Goa as Majorda debates banning Kashmiris from business activity
- Tourism Minister Dilip Parulekar’s top secret “meeting” with Harinder Singh of Percept, organisers of Sunburn and Pravin Dabholkar?
- Goa Govt spends Rs One Crore on junket for 38 to study garbage disposal – who sanctioned this wasteful expenditure, asks LOGG Goa
- On World Toilet Day, 35 per cent residents in Goa do not have proper sanitation facilities
- Vishwaroopam actress Waheeda Rahman to be honored at IFFI 2013 in Goa
- Goa to shut at 1 am – Govt order will affect small businesses most, forcing many to shut shop
- After Tehelka, alleged sexual harassment at Goa film festival IFFI 2013
- 160 films from 74 countries for IFFI 2013 at Goa
« I will not be cowed down: MLA Vishnu Surya Wagh says after attack Sanjay Dutt heads home for 30 days, granted parole twice in 90 days »