By TNN | 5 Jan, 2014, 11.20AM IST
NEW DELHI: A group of cyber security experts have questioned the Election Commission’s move to tie up with Google for voters’ registration, saying it could have possible impact on national security and democracy itself.
In the light of recent exposes about the penetrative and widespread intelligence gathering by the US agencies exposed by Edward Snowden, the activists also alleged that the EC’s move was done without any strategic considerations and could have long-term repercussions.
“It is shocking that in a country like India which is called world’s software superpower, Election Commission, instead of an Indian company, has chosen a foreign company like Google, which has colluded with American intelligence agencies like NSA (National Security Agency) for global cyber spying, to provide electoral registration and facilitation services by providing them the whole database of registered voters in India,” the Indian Infosec Consortium said in the capital on Saturday.
“This will pose an unprecedented security risk to India, as this data is bound to be surely misused by Google and American agencies for cyberespionage and other surveillance operation by the United States,” the group said.
According to reports, Google and EC have entered into an agreement under which the internet giant will help EC to manage online voter registration and facilitation services ahead of the 2014 elections.
Google will help manage online registration of new voters, allow the enrolled voters to verify their details, and get directions to the polling station. Voters’ queries on the commission website are also to be managed by Google.
Jiten Jain, a member of the consortium, said the EC’s move also raise questions if it is a violation of Public Records Act of 1993, which prevents official records from being stored abroad.
Rajsekhar Murthy, another member of the consortium, said the poll panel should have spoken to Indian companies such as Infosys or TCS before jumping into such a decision. “Cost wise it is not much,” he said.
SOURCE: THE ECONOMIC TIMES
Related News / Articles:
- Google’s election hub empowers voters
- Rahul Gandhi may not be made PM candidate yet?
- Goa Church Body Council of Social Justice and Peace Attacks Narendra Modi and CM Parrikar, alleges corruption
- Aleixo Reginaldo Lourenco is a man of the masses, a people person, opines fashion designer Raymond Fernandez
- Arvind Kejriwal to be sworn in as CM on Thursday after Presidential approval
- External affairs minister Salman Khurshid snubs American counterpart Secretary of State John Kerry
- Devyani case: Row shows India fell off Obama’s map
- Parrikar, Akhilesh are insensitive, says Goa Congress spokesperson Valanka Alemao
- CM Manohar Parrikar’s Facebook wall gets least number of likes on Modi’s rally in Goa
- Mumbai’s Mango People unimpressed with Narendra Modi as Mahagarjana rally fails to stir the Aam Aadmi
- Google violating norms: BJP MP
- US govt evacuated maid, husband and kid before arresting Devyani Khobragade
- Devyani Khobragade row: US holds back details of embassy staff’s salary
- India transfers Devyani Khobragade to its Permanent Mission at UN to ensure full immunity
- Rahul Gandhi plays Mr Right, ticks off Maha CM and govt on Adarsh issue
- US won’t drop visa fraud charge against Devyani Khobragade, denies goof up
- India Votes: Election Comission specifies guidelines to regulate social media campaign expenses
- Devyani case: Sangeeta’s in-laws had worked with expelled US diplomat Wayne May
- Can senior Congress leader John Fernandes deliver the goods in Goa?
- Devyani Khobragade case: India refuses US request to waive immunity
- Over 68 per cent Indians do not support Devyani Khobragade, say she should face trial
- Devyani Khobragade row lands up at the White House
- Aam Aadmi Party confronts BJP on mining, casinos in Goa
- US federal judge rejects Devyani’s plea to extend deadline for hearing
- Devyani Khobragade arrest: US violated UN convention – Khobragade had full immunity
- Devyani Khobragade fallout: India expels senior US diplomat
- Devyani Khobragade’s absconding maid had demanded a huge compensation and US citizenship
- India Votes: Elections in 5 states in November and December
- Some at U.S. diplomatic posts earn less than $1 a day, says report
- US Energy Secretary cancels India trip over Devyani Khobragade case
« Nisha Yadav fashion shoot for designer Randell Gomes Goa to shut at 1 am – Govt order will affect small businesses most, forcing many to shut shop »