Edited by Prasad Sanyal for NDTV (with inputs from PTI) | Updated: December 16, 2013 20:30 IST
New Delhi: Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung has recommended the imposition of President’s rule in Delhi as one of the options to break the deadlock over formation of a new government, with no party ready yet to assume power.
In a report sent to the President on Saturday, Mr Jung has highlighted options after consulting single-largest party, the BJP and then the Aam Aadmi Party, which came in second in the Assembly elections, which threw up a hung verdict. The BJP has said no; the Aam Aadmi Party has sought 10 days time to think it over.
But the term of the assembly ends on Wednesday, December 18, and a new government should be in pace before then.
Mr Jung has reportedly noted in his report that central rule can be imposed with the Assembly kept in suspended animation and if at any point a party comes forward to stake claim, it can prove its majority and form government.
If no party comes forward to stake claim to form the government, President’s Rule can be imposed in the next two days, sources said. The decision will be made by the Centre and will be conveyed to the President.
Fresh elections would have to be held if no party comes forward within six months.
Arvind Kejriwal’s AAP has 28 seats in the new Assembly, second only to the BJP, which has 31 in a hung verdict.
The Congress, with its eights seats, has offered unconditional support to AAP to form a government. Those eight seats would help AAP get to 36, the number a party needs in the 70-member house to form government
Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde did not disclose the contents of the report and only said, “We are examining the report legally.”
Meanwhile, sources said, the President has notified the constitution of the new Delhi Assembly on December 10.
Related News / Articles:
- Arvind Kejriwal to be sworn in as CM on Thursday after Presidential approval
- Four auto drivers detained in Mumbai techie Esther Anuhya’s murder case
- Techie murder: Shinde asks to fasten probe, Mumbai Police grappling for clues
- Vikhroli residents march to murder spot, seeking justice for Esther Anuhya
- Hyderabad techie Esther Anuhya’s death: A murder without clues
- Justice For Esther Anuhya campaign on Facebook launched
- As condemnation and outrage mounts, Goa police probe molestation charges against Tehelka’s Tarun Tejpal
- Goan musician Remo Fernandes to tune up AAP in Goa
- Kingfisher Airlines employees to seek Kejriwal’s help to get their dues
- Rahul Gandhi may not be made PM candidate yet?
- Aam Aadmi Party confronts BJP on mining, casinos in Goa
- India Votes: Election Comission specifies guidelines to regulate social media campaign expenses
- CM Manohar Parrikar’s Facebook wall gets least number of likes on Modi’s rally in Goa
- Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Election Commission’s Google tie-up for voter registration a data security risk, opine experts
- Parrikar, Akhilesh are insensitive, says Goa Congress spokesperson Valanka Alemao
- Mumbai’s Mango People unimpressed with Narendra Modi as Mahagarjana rally fails to stir the Aam Aadmi
- Churchill Alemao, John Fernandes petition Goa Governor B V Wanchoo to disqualify Benaulim MLA Caetano ‘Caitu’ Silva
- Can senior Congress leader John Fernandes deliver the goods in Goa?
- MNS chief Raj Thackeray says he is in no mood for patch up with cousin and Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray
- India Votes: Elections in 5 states in November and December
- Snooping row: Web portal releases pictures of Modi with woman
- Goa News: Goa is no longer attractive to western tourists: Francisco Braganca
- Rahul Gandhi plays Mr Right, ticks off Maha CM and govt on Adarsh issue
- Goa News: RTI activist and GPCC spokesperson Sudip Tamankar released on conditional bail
- Goa News: Sudip Tamankar’s arrest is politically motivated: LOGG Goa
- Face of Congress ad, NSUI’s Goa president Hasiba Amin faces social media fury, defamation
- Devyani Khobragade row: US holds back details of embassy staff’s salary
- Now RJD, Lalu equates his jail term to that of Nelson Mandela?
- Churchill Alemao: Furore over Portuguese ship, what about Portuguese citizen as BJP MLA?
- Goa News: GPCC spokesperson Sudip Tamankar arrested
« Was Sussanne cheating on Hrithik Roshan? Arjun Rampal clears the air Indian diplomat handcuffed, stripped searched, DNA fingerprinted and confined with drug addicts in US lockup »