Newz66.com Bureau | Thursday, December 19th, 2013
External affairs minister Salman Khurshid told news persons on Thursday that he had received a call from his American counterpart Secretary of State John Kerry last night but he was not available at that time to take it and that is the reason the US secretary of state talked to the national security advisor.
“I was not available when John Kerry called. We are trying to lock a time for a call this evening or may be tomorrow. Kerry is in the Philippines and there is a huge time difference,” he said.
Though Khurshid said he was not available to take Kerry’s call, speculation is that the call was not taken by the minister to show India’s unhappiness over the case against its diplomat and the way she was treated.
Noting that the case (against Khobragade) does not “deserve to be pursued” and should be withdrawn unconditionally, he said, “Our relationship has a lot of investment, it is an irreversible matter and we have to deal with it sensibly,” The minister said.
Kerry had last night called up national security advisor Shivshankar Menon and expressed regret over the treatment meted out to Khobragade.
India on Thursday demanded that the case against its senior diplomat Devyani Khobragade, arrested and strip-searched in New York on charges of visa fraud, should be dropped unconditionally. Ministry of external affairs says, “It needs to be asked what right a foreign govt has to evacuate our citizens from India while cases are pending against them on Indian soil.”
with inputs from PTI
Related News / Articles:
- US govt evacuated maid, husband and kid before arresting Devyani Khobragade
- Who is Devyani Khobragade? Her assets and financial details!
- India transfers Devyani Khobragade to its Permanent Mission at UN to ensure full immunity
- Devyani Khobragade’s absconding maid had demanded a huge compensation and US citizenship
- Do you support Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade? Let us know your thoughts
- US doesn’t practise what it preaches – US consulates don’t follow rules that it imposes on others
- Diplomat Devyani Khobragade issue: What is a full body cavity search?
- Diplomat issue: MPs voice outrage, seek apology by the US
- At $ 9.75 an hour domestic maids earn more than Indian diplomats in New York, thanks to US labor laws
- Facebook page launched to bring home Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade
- Indian diplomat earns $4,120 per month, US says pay babysitter $4,500
- Devyani Khobragade, Ashok Chavan illegal beneficiaries of Adarsh society: Report says
- Diplomat’s ‘strip search’ part of standard procedures: US marshals
- India protests ‘public humiliation’ of its diplomat, summons US envoy
- The perfect Indian crab mentality – Indian-born US attorney gets Indian diplomat arrested in the US though complainant absconding
- Devyani Khobragade row lands up at the White House
- Devyani Khobragade row: Why the US emperor has no clothes?
- Devyani case: Row shows India fell off Obama’s map
- Devyani Khobragade row: US holds back details of embassy staff’s salary
- Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Election Commission’s Google tie-up for voter registration a data security risk, opine experts
- Devyani Khobragade case: India refuses US request to waive immunity
- US won’t drop visa fraud charge against Devyani Khobragade, denies goof up
- Devyani case: Sangeeta’s in-laws had worked with expelled US diplomat Wayne May
- Devyani Khobragade moves US court; seeks dismissal of visa fraud case
- Why Devyani Khobragade didn’t tell NY cops she had immunity from arrest
- Over 68 per cent Indians do not support Devyani Khobragade, say she should face trial
- Devyani Khobragade fallout: India expels senior US diplomat
- Devyani Khobragade incident exposes Indian hypocrisy
- Indian Diplomat Devyani Khobragade indicted in New York
- US Energy Secretary cancels India trip over Devyani Khobragade case
« Bigg Boss 7: Tanishaa-Armaan caught once again having sex on camera US govt evacuated maid, husband and kid before arresting Devyani Khobragade »