TNN | Dec 27, 2013, 02.28 AM IST
PANAJI: This year’s budget announcement of imposing 25% entertainment tax on ticketed mega events attracting a crowd of 2,000 or more people has been put into effect by the BJP government in Goa ahead of the two electronic dance music (EDM) festivals scheduled to take place in North Goa this week.
The Goa government on Tuesday issued the notification imposing the tax. Commercial taxes commissioner S G Korgaonkar said that last season they had collected about Rs 1 crore as entertainment tax and they expect to collect a higher amount this year through large scale ticketed events.
Ticket sales of events attracting more than 2,000 persons-other than marriages, religious ceremonies and tiatrs-will be monitored by the commercial taxes department. Sports events-indoor or outdoor-will attract a 10% entertainment tax where entry fee is Rs 500 or more.
The government had also announced in the March 2013 budget session, its intention of issuing pre-authenticated tickets to discotheques, boat cruises, river cruises, night clubs, dance performances, musical performances, theatrical performances including cultural programmes and ballets. It has not yet issued a separate notification to make this decision effective.
Meanwhile, LOGG Goa a social forum based in South Goa has warned of rampant drug abuse in Goa during the next one week – expects government machinery to be extra vigilant.
SOURCE: THE TIMES OF INDIA
Related News / Articles:
- Logg warns of rampant drug abuse as Supersonic opens to ’7,000 footfalls’ at Candolim:
- Goa News: South Goan beaches to get a facelift and new tourist facilities
- Dispelling Goa’s negative media coverage? Does it work?
- North Goa Tourist Taxi owners complain about foreigners running tourist taxis and tours
- Eating Out in Goa: Titos at Baga Beach
- Tourism Minister Dilip Parulekar’s top secret “meeting” with Harinder Singh of Percept, organisers of Sunburn and Pravin Dabholkar?
- I will not be cowed down: MLA Vishnu Surya Wagh says after attack
- Vishnu Wagh’s supporters want Kandolkar arrested
- Sunburn 2013: Goa govt acting unfairly in considering Viacom 18′s proposal over Percept’s?
- Mapusa police arrest Sirsaim resident Kamu alias Awdoot Halarnkar for attack on Wagh
- Sunburn 2013 in Goa seems cancelled or rescheduled as Viacom 18′s VH1 Supersonic gets the nod: DNA
- Out of 52 arrested Nigerians, 38 get bail. 14 to remain in custody as they are without valid documents
- Rohit Shetty, Jaya, Waheeda to attend Iffi 2013 in Goa
- Goa to shut at 1 am – Govt order will affect small businesses most, forcing many to shut shop
- Goa govt to fund aspiring Goan film directors with Rs 50 lakh says MLA Vishnu Surya Wagh
- Goa Govt shells out Rs 10 crore for IFFI 2013, as total expenses cross Rs 20 cr
- Goa Govt spends Rs One Crore on junket for 38 to study garbage disposal – who sanctioned this wasteful expenditure, asks LOGG Goa
- Goa police to handle security at IFFI 2013; no private security guards, says Vishnu Wagh
- I am like Shah Rukh Khan, says Goa’s Tourism Minister Dilip Parulekar, after posing with a known criminal
- Some greedy Goans are killing the goose that lays the golden eggs in Goa
- Over 37059 children who work and live on Mumbai’s streets says report
- US-Iran stars to power India’s international film fest, IFFI 2013 in Goa
- Goa CM Parrikar gets Tiwari jibe during IFFI 2013 closing ceremony
- Stop parading Bombay stars at Iffi: Padma Vibhushan awardee Adoor Gopalakrishnan
- Vishwaroopam actress Waheeda Rahman to be honored at IFFI 2013 in Goa
- After Tehelka, alleged sexual harassment at Goa film festival IFFI 2013
- Delhi HC issues notice to Goa govt, Centre on Caitu’s plea
- Relief for Caitu as Delhi HC admits plea on citizenship
- On World Toilet Day, 35 per cent residents in Goa do not have proper sanitation facilities
- Special section of six films by Goans at Iffi 2013
« Logg warns of rampant drug abuse as Supersonic opens to ’7,000 footfalls’ at Candolim: Blatant misuse of Red Beacons in Goa »