Press Trust of India | Updated: December 18, 2013 09:18 IST
Washington: The US Marshals Service (USMS) has confirmed that Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade was subjected to a “strip search”, the same as other arrested people, after her arrest in New York last week.
“As for the type of search, I can only confirm that she was subject to the same search procedures as other USMS arrestees held within the general prisoner population in the Southern District of New York, which in this case was a strip search,” USMS spokesperson Nikki Credic-Barrett said.
She insisted that standard intake procedures were followed, saying, “While in USMS custody, standard arrestee intake procedures were followed.”
In response to a question on putting the diplomat with drug addicts in the same cell, she said, “The arrestee was placed in a cell with other female defendants awaiting court proceedings.”
The spokesperson however, refused to take any position on the diplomat’s arrest, saying USMS was not the arresting agency and takes no position regarding the appropriateness of her arrest.
“The USMS has reviewed its own detention of arrestee Devyani Khobragade and has determined that the USMS, Southern District of New York handled Khobragade’s intake and detention in accordance with USMS Policy Directives and Protocols,” she said.
Ms Khobragade was arrested on December 12 by the Department of State, Bureau of Diplomatic Security, and transferred to the USMS pending her initial appearance before a United States Federal Magistrate Judge.
The 1999-batch IFS officer was released on the same day on a $250,000 bond after pleading not guilty in court.
US authorities had alleged that Ms Khobragade made “false statements” in the visa application of an Indian national employed as a babysitter and housekeeper at her home in New York.
SOURCE: PTI / NDTV
(Newz66.com thanks PTI and NDTV for the above content)
Related News / Articles:
- Do you support Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade? Let us know your thoughts
- Facebook page launched to bring home Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade
- Diplomat Devyani Khobragade issue: What is a full body cavity search?
- US doesn’t practise what it preaches – US consulates don’t follow rules that it imposes on others
- India transfers Devyani Khobragade to its Permanent Mission at UN to ensure full immunity
- Diplomat issue: MPs voice outrage, seek apology by the US
- Devyani Khobragade’s absconding maid had demanded a huge compensation and US citizenship
- Devyani Khobragade, Ashok Chavan illegal beneficiaries of Adarsh society: Report says
- Who is Devyani Khobragade? Her assets and financial details!
- At $ 9.75 an hour domestic maids earn more than Indian diplomats in New York, thanks to US labor laws
- US govt evacuated maid, husband and kid before arresting Devyani Khobragade
- Indian diplomat earns $4,120 per month, US says pay babysitter $4,500
- External affairs minister Salman Khurshid snubs American counterpart Secretary of State John Kerry
- India protests ‘public humiliation’ of its diplomat, summons US envoy
- The perfect Indian crab mentality – Indian-born US attorney gets Indian diplomat arrested in the US though complainant absconding
- Over 68 per cent Indians do not support Devyani Khobragade, say she should face trial
- US federal judge rejects Devyani’s plea to extend deadline for hearing
- Devyani Khobragade incident exposes Indian hypocrisy
- Devyani Khobragade fallout: India expels senior US diplomat
- Indian Diplomat Devyani Khobragade indicted in New York
- US won’t drop visa fraud charge against Devyani Khobragade, denies goof up
- Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade held for visa fraud in US released on bail
- Massive security arrangements for Narendra Modi’s 22nd December rally in Mumbai
- Devyani Khobragade moves US court; seeks dismissal of visa fraud case
- Devyani Khobragade case: India refuses US request to waive immunity
- Devyani Khobragade row: US holds back details of embassy staff’s salary
- Latest update on Narendra Modi’s Sunday 22 December rally in Mumbai
- Indian diplomat handcuffed, stripped searched, DNA fingerprinted and confined with drug addicts in US lockup
- Suren Paul aka Surendra Pal arrested by Goa police for Nigerian’s murder at Parra
- Nigerian Murder Case: Local suspects remanded into 14-day police custody
« Facebook page launched to bring home Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade India transfers Devyani Khobragade to its Permanent Mission at UN to ensure full immunity »