Thursday, Dec 26, 2013, 18:11 IST | Agency: PTI
In a new twist, it has now emerged that senior Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade enjoyed full diplomatic immunity including from personal arrest and detention on December 12 when she was taken into custody by the US authorities in a visa fraud case.
39-year-old Khobragade, who was posted as Deputy Consul General in New York, was also accredited as an “Advisor to the Permanent Mission of India to the United Nations” by the UN w.e.f. 26th August 2013 and her status as an Advisor was valid until 31 December 2013. The accreditation was for the UN General Assembly 2013.
Under the “Convention on the Privileges and Immunities of the United Nations”, Article 4 Section 11A specifies “Immunities from personal arrest or detention and from the seizure of their personal baggage” of all representatives of members to the UN and further the Article specifies that the expression “Representative” shall be deemed to include all Delegates, Deputy Delegates, Advisors, Technical Experts and Secretaries of delegations. “Her arrest, therefore, on December 12th 2013 was contrary to her status on that date,” sources said.
The sources also said India has taken up the matter with the US State Department.
The 1999-batch IFS officer was arrested on December 12 on charges of making false declarations in a visa application for her maid Sangeeta Richards. The diplomat was released on a USD 250,000 bond after being charged with visa fraud.
Subsequent revelations that she was strip searched and held with criminals triggered a row between the two sides with India downgrading privileges of certain category of US diplomats among other steps.
(Newz66.com thanks PTI for the above content)
Related News / Articles:
- Devyani Khobragade moves US court; seeks dismissal of visa fraud case
- US federal judge rejects Devyani’s plea to extend deadline for hearing
- Devyani case: Sangeeta’s in-laws had worked with expelled US diplomat Wayne May
- Devyani case: Row shows India fell off Obama’s map
- US Energy Secretary cancels India trip over Devyani Khobragade case
- Devyani Khobragade row: Why the US emperor has no clothes?
- Devyani Khobragade row lands up at the White House
- Diplomat Devyani Khobragade issue: What is a full body cavity search?
- Why Devyani Khobragade didn’t tell NY cops she had immunity from arrest
- Devyani Khobragade has no immunity, claim US prosecutors
- US govt evacuated maid, husband and kid before arresting Devyani Khobragade
- Devyani Khobragade fallout: India expels senior US diplomat
- Devyani Khobragade’s absconding maid had demanded a huge compensation and US citizenship
- Do you support Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade? Let us know your thoughts
- US won’t drop visa fraud charge against Devyani Khobragade, denies goof up
- India transfers Devyani Khobragade to its Permanent Mission at UN to ensure full immunity
- Devyani Khobragade case: India refuses US request to waive immunity
- Indian Diplomat Devyani Khobragade indicted in New York
- Devyani Khobragade row: US holds back details of embassy staff’s salary
- Over 68 per cent Indians do not support Devyani Khobragade, say she should face trial
- The perfect Indian crab mentality – Indian-born US attorney gets Indian diplomat arrested in the US though complainant absconding
- Who is Devyani Khobragade? Her assets and financial details!
- India protests ‘public humiliation’ of its diplomat, summons US envoy
- Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade held for visa fraud in US released on bail
- US doesn’t practise what it preaches – US consulates don’t follow rules that it imposes on others
- Devyani Khobragade incident exposes Indian hypocrisy
- Some at U.S. diplomatic posts earn less than $1 a day, says report
- External affairs minister Salman Khurshid snubs American counterpart Secretary of State John Kerry
- Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Election Commission’s Google tie-up for voter registration a data security risk, opine experts
- Indian diplomat earns $4,120 per month, US says pay babysitter $4,500
« Porn star Shanti Dynamite listed in the top 20 by UK website Bikini Dj Nisha Yadav’s boob slip wardrobe malfunction »